Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women's Basketball

UMW Women’s Basketball Falls to Marymount, 59-43, on Saturday Afternoon

UMW Women’s Basketball Falls to Marymount, 59-43, on Saturday Afternoon

The University of Mary Washington women's basketball team fell to Marymount University, 59-43, on Saturday afternoon at Ron Rosner Arena. Freshman Erika Carter led Mary Washington (4-4) with 11 points.

Freshman Erika Carter got the game started for the Eagles with a made layup and followed it up with a trip to the free throw line where she went 1-2, giving Mary Washington a quick 3-0 lead. Marymount answered with a made jump shot at the 7:03 mark, putting the Saints on the board.

Both teams then went into a two-minute long scoring drought until junior the Saints broke the silence, making a three-point jump shot for Marymount, giving the Saints a 5-3 lead. Marymount increased their lead to 7-3 with just three minutes remaining in the quarter.

The Saints continued on to a seven point run with to make the lead 14-3. Erika Carter broke the nearly seven minute scoring drought for the Eagles with another made layup, bringing the Eagles within nine points, 14-5 going into the second quarter.

Both teams got off to a slow start to the second quarter until junior Emily Thompson helped Mary Washington close the gap with a made three-pointer. The Saints then immediately answered with a three of her own to go ahead 17-8.With 8:48 left to go in the second, freshman Thora Gibbs went 2-2 from the foul line, putting the Eagles down seven, 17-10. Marymount then went on a 7-0 run increase their lead to 24-10.

Senior Jordan Pamlanye reenergized the Eagles' offense with two made free throws with 1:08 remaining in the half. With 48 seconds left, Thompson made a layup, setting the score at 27-16 at halftime. Mary Washington was led by Thompson and Carter who both recorded 5 points.

Marymount started the third quarter with two baskets to push their lead to 31-16. Meanwhile, the Eagles were held scoreless through the first five minutes of the quarter until freshman Emily Shively's made layup, making the score 35-18.The Saints went up 41-20 on a made three-pointer with 3:20 left in the third. Towards the end of the third, Thompson made two consecutive threes to put the score at 45-26. Shively ended the quarter for the Eagles with a made layup and one made free throw.

With the score sitting at 45-29 heading into the fourth quarter, the Eagles were looking to get back into the game. Sophomore Tory Martin was the first to score for either team in the fourth, making a layup with 8:02 left in the game. 

With 7:30 remaining in the game, Thompson went 3-3 in a trip to the foul line, putting the score at 45-34. The Eagles continued their comeback efforts as Pamlanye forced a turnover and was able to finish a contested layup, drawing the foul and electrifying the crowd. Pamlanye made the free throw following the media timeout that ensued after the big play, cutting the Saints' lead to single digits, 45-37. 

With less than two minutes remaining in the game, Marymount ended the Eagles' comeback hopes as they had buckets on back-to-back possessions to put the score at 55-43. The Saints knocked down late free throws and won the game 59-43.

Thompson added 11 points and three rebounds. Pamlanye hauled in nine rebounds and blocked two shots.

The Eagles will be back in action on December 15 as they will head to Lexington to play Washington and Lee at 2 p.m.