Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

#20 UMW Men's Soccer Tops Lynchburg, 2-0, on Wednesday Night

#20 UMW Men's Soccer Tops Lynchburg, 2-0, on Wednesday Night

The twentieth-ranked University of Mary Washington men's soccer team topped the University of Lynchburg, 2-0, on Wednesday night in Lynchburg, VA. The Eagles win their first game as a ranked team and improve to 4-1 on the season. 

After an hour and 45 minute rain delay, the Eagles came out of the gate fast looking for an early goal. Within the first 40 seconds, UMW had a good look at goal as a ball was crossed in but not able to be finished at the net. Just a couple minutes later a long ball was played into the box, but was a tad too far for Joshua Everard to put his head on the ball.

Over the next 20 minutes, the Eagles had a few corner kicks and free kicks on their side but could not convert any of them. Lynchburg's best opportunity early on came after they received a corner kick. With the ball sitting around the goal, a Lynchburg player had a shot hit the post and then Kenny Kurtz came up with a save on an ensuing shot. 

Josh Kirkland recorded a shot on goal at the 32nd minute but was saved by the Hornets keeper. After a couple minutes of no shots, the Eagles had a great opportunity as Jeremy Hokenson crossed the ball in and Justin Mittereder had a chance at the ball was pushed over in the box to earn a penalty kick. Jacob Lovinger's name was called to put away the penalty kick and he did just that to give UMW a 1-0 lead with just 54 seconds left. 

Just 20 seconds into the second half, the Hornets were on the attack and just missed a shot wide. After the Eagles weather the Hornets attack in the first 10 minutes, UMW had a chance at goal as Soriano crossed a ball to the middle of the net but a shot by the Joshua Everard was saved. A hard low shot by Lynchburg occurred in the 59th minute but Kurtz was all over it. In the 65th minute, the Hornets thought that they had a goal to tie the game off of a free kick, but was called offsides. 

In the 70th minute, UMW added a second goal as Kevin Conrad got his head on a ball played in from Noah Mazzatenta and put it past the goalie to go up 2-0. Kurtz made two outstanding saves late in the second half, including a one-on-one, to keep the shutout alive. UMW held on in the last 20 minutes to preserve the shutout and take the win 2-0.

The Eagles outshot the Hornets 13-8 and had three corner kicks. Kurtz made six saves in goal for UMW.

UMW will be back in action on Saturday when they travel to Roanoke for a game at 6 p.m.