Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

UMW Men’s Soccer Falls to Eastern in Penalty Kick Shootout in NCAA Tournament First Round Matchup

UMW Men’s Soccer Falls to Eastern in Penalty Kick Shootout in NCAA Tournament First Round Matchup

The University of Mary Washington men's soccer team fell to Eastern University 4-1 in a penalty kick shootout, after the score was tied 1-1 in regulation, in the first round of the NCAA Division III tournament in Lancaster, Pa. on Saturday evening. The Eagles conclude the season with a 14-1-5 record, a CAC regular season championship, and a CAC tournament championship. 

In the first 10 minutes play was evenly matched as both teams had a corner kick each and one shot by Eastern. With 34:04 to play in the first half, the Eagles conceded a penalty kick that was put away by Eastern and they took a 1-0 lead. Over the next 34 minutes, Eastern controlled play as they fired off five shots to UMW's one.

UMW came out ready to play in the second half as they doubled their shot total in the first two minutes of play. The first shot on goal for UMW came in the 48th minute by Luke Turney but was saved. Ryan Van Maanen had an excellent shot in the 55th minute from the left side of the 18 as he drove a ball towards goal but the ball sailed just wide of the net.

The Eagles dominated play in the second half and they were rewarded with their effort as they tied up the game in the 80th minute. Gary Foley stole the ball from Eastern and played a long ball into Jeremy Hokenson who finished past the goalie. UMW searched for that second goal in the last 10 minutes and had five shots but three were blocked and two were just a tad high.

In the first overtime, Eastern totaled two shots and UMW only had one corner kick. Ken Kurtz made a save for the Eagles in the 95th minute and that pushed the game into double overtime.

UMW again came out firing at the net looking for that elusive second goal. Hokenson had two shots that were blocked, Will Donohoe had a shot blocked, and Conor MacMurdy also had a shot that was blocked, Neither team scored in that overtime and that took the game to a penalty kick shootout.

In the penalty kick shootout, Eastern nailed their first penalty and then Jacob Lovinger came up and put his away. The Eastern goalie then came up with two great saves in the next two penalty kick attempts by UMW that gave Eastern a two goal advantage. The goalie for Eastern then came up and hit the game winner for them to win the penalty kick shootout 4-1.