Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

UMW Men's Lax Roars Back for 15-10 Win Over Susquehanna

UMW Men's Lax Roars Back for 15-10 Win Over Susquehanna

On Thursday, the University of Mary Washington men's lacrosse team was able to complete a second half comeback to defeat Susquehanna University, 15-10, led by senior Sean Tuite.

Susquehanna scored first goal of the game in the first three minutes of the opening quarter. After a slow start, junior Chase Kapuscienski scored the inaugural goal of the game for the Eagles, as he was assisted by senior Shane McKenzie. Following a quiet few minutes on both sides, the River Hawks scored two goals to close the first quarter with a 4-1 lead over Mary Washington.

Susquehanna built on its lead, scoring a goal in the first two minutes of the second quarter. After a seven-minute scoring drought, Susquehanna added another goal with 6:34 left in the half.

The Eagles reenergized their offense with a goal by Tuite, assisted by fellow senior Cole Hogan. Mary Washington was quick to add another goal to the board, as Hogan drove in for a score, assisted by junior Quintin Ricci, with the score sitting at 5-3 with 3:30 left in the second quarter.

The River Hawks ended the Eagles' hot streak by adding another goal, beating the Eagles' defensive rotation. Before the end of the half, Susquehanna recorded another goal with six seconds remaining in the half. In what seemed like the end of the half, the Eagles turned into a buzzer beating goal by senior Chris White, assisted by Ricci, ending the half trailing the River Hawks 7-4.

Susquehanna began the second half with two early goals in the first three minutes, increasing their lead to five goals. Mary Washington added a pair of goals of their own when seniors Vinny Smiroldo and Josh Schulman scored with 11 minutes left in the third, setting the score at 9-6.

After nearly a ten-minute scoring drought by both teams, Tuite narrowed the River Hawks' lead to only two goals after he scored with a minute remaining in the third quarter. White added on a goal of his own, assisted by McKenzie, as the Eagles now only trailed the River Hawks 9-8 heading into the fourth quarter.

The Eagles continued their hot streak, tying the game up at 9-9 with a goal by White, his third of the game, assisted by Smiroldo. The game did not stay tied for long though, as Susquehanna regained the lead with 11:57 left in the game.

Not wanting to waste any time, Tuite tied the game up once again, assisted by White. Seconds later, Mary Washington took the lead when freshman Dyson Adams scored an unassisted goal with ten minutes remaining in regulation.

Blazing on their hot streak Schulman increased the Eagles' lead by two, igniting the sideline. Shortly after White and McKenzie connected again, as McKenzie assisted White to another goal, putting the Mary Washington lead at 13-10.

Not letting up on the gas, the Eagles finished yet another scoring drive, led by Tuite. Adams added a goal of his own off an assist by Hogan, the Eagles now leading 15-10 with two minutes remaining. After a few defensive stops on both sides, Mary Washington was able to prevail.

With this win, the Eagles improve to a 5-4 record, as they prepare to host Roanoke College on Saturday, March 16 at 4 PM.