Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

UMW Men's Lacrosse Falls to Illinois Wesleyan, 18-13, on Wednesday

UMW Men's Lacrosse Falls to Illinois Wesleyan, 18-13, on Wednesday

The University of Mary Washington men's lacrosse team fell to Illinois Wesleyan University by a score of 18-13. The Eagles slip to 4-4 overall. The Eagles were led by senior Chris White with four goals.

Illinois Wesleyan jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, scoring in the first minute of the game.  The Eagles responded with a goal of their own by senior Shane McKenzie, his eleventh of the season, assisted by fellow White.

Mary Washington took the lead in the fifth minute of the game with a goal by White, his twenty-third of the season, assisted by McKenzie. McKenzie and White continued to show off their team chemistry, as White and McKenzie both scored another goal, as the pair assisted each other, giving the Eagles a 4-1 lead with seven minutes left in the first quarter. The Titans scored shortly after setting the score at 4-2.

Following a Titan timeout, the Eagles forced a turnover and scored once again, this time by the hands of freshman Logan Green, assisted by senior Cole Hogan. The Titans then answered with a goal of their own, putting the score at 5-3 with 3:15 left in the first. 

Once again, the Titans opened the quarter with a strong offensive possession, scoring a goal in the initial seconds of the second quarter, narrowing the Eagles' lead 5-4. Senior Robert Tata capitalized on an open goal, assisted by fellow senior Josh Schulman, increasing the lead 6-4 with 11:08 left in the half.

Illinois Wesleyan evened the score two minutes later with two goals, evening the score at 6-6. Freshman Cameron Walker rejuvenated Mary UMW's offense, scoring a goal that was assisted by Green, allowing the Eagles to regain the lead. The Titans responded with a goal of their own shortly after and that put the game at 7-7 going into the half.

Illinois Wesleyan started the quarter by taking the lead with a goal in the first few seconds of the half. After a turnover by the Eagles, the Titans' goalie carried the ball outside of the goal and then tried to pass to a teammate, before the pass could be completed, senior Davis King intercepted the pass and carried the ball in for a goal. Mary Washington took the lead shortly after with a goal by White, assisted by McKenzie, the score now standing at 9-8. 

The Titans quickly tied the game back up, following a scuffle that resulted in a Mary Washington penalty. Illinois Wesleyan then regained the lead with an additional goal with 7:36 remaining in the quarter. The Titans continued their hot streak to the tune of three more goals, increasing their lead to four goals, 13-9.

The Titans prolonged their scoring streak in the fourth quarter, adding four more goals in the first five minutes. UMW broke the Titan's streak with a goal by senior Sean Tuite, assisted by junior JC Reynolds, as the score stood at 17-10 with 8:58 left. White added another goal for Mary Washington, assisted by McKenzi and then with 4:18 left in the game, Hogan shrunk the lead with a goal that was assisted by Tuite. 

The Titans dampened the Eagles' comeback hopes, adding another goal to their total, putting the score at 18-12. The Eagles answered with a goal by Tuite that was assisted by freshman Joe Marchesano with 1:59 left. Illinois Wesleyan then held on from there to take an 18-13 lead.

Rober Tata led the way with nine ground balls, while King picked up seven ground balls. 

The Eagles' next game is on Thursday, March 14, when they play Susquehanna at home.