#21 Women's Tennis Falls Against Johns Hopkins, 5-2, on Saturday; Ends Season at 18-8
Fredericksburg, Va.— The #21 University of Mary Washington women's tennis team saw their season end, 5-2, against Johns Hopkins in the NCAA Tournament Third Round. UMW won two doubles points, but fell in four of six singles. UMW closes the season at 18-8.
The Eagles took two of the three doubles matches to take an early 2-1 lead. Lindsay Raulston and Shelby Harris pulled out a close 8-6 win at one doubles against Hailey Hogan and Sydney Lehman. Ashley Barrow and Mackenzie Smith picked up the other win at number three. The tandem defeated Ashnaa Rao and Amanda Austi 8-3.
Hopkins roared back, winning four of six singles matches to earn the victory. The Blue Jays won at number three, four, five and six.
Johns Hopkins vs University of Mary Washington
May 10, 2014 at Fredericksburg, Va.
Johns Hopkins 5, University of Mary Washington 2
1. RAULSTON, Lindsay (UMWWT) vs. Amanda Austi (JHUW) 6-7 (3-7), 4-2, unfinished
2. HARRIS, Shelby (UMWWT) vs. Sydney Lehman (JHUW) 6-7 (4-7), 3-5, unfinished
3. Ashnaa Rao (JHUW) def. SMITH, Mackenzie (UMWWT) 6-0, 6-1
4. Hailey Hogan (JHUW) def. RITTER, Alex (UMWWT) 6-2, 6-4
5. Elaine Baik (JHUW) def. GAUL, Christina (UMWWT) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jody Law (JHUW) def. FLOOD, Berri (UMWWT) 6-2, 6-1
1. RAULSTON, Lindsay/HARRIS, Shelby (UMWWT) def. Hailey Hogan/Sydney Lehman (JHUW) 8-6
2. Elaine Baik/Mikey Barthelmass (JHUW) def. SUYAMA, Alina/RITTER, Alex (UMWWT) 8-4
3. BARROW, Ashley/SMITH, Mackenzie (UMWWT) def. Ashnaa Rao/Amanda Austi (JHUW) 8-3
2014 NCAA Tournament Third Round