Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Stewart Makes Game-Winning Layup to Defeat Marymount, 69-67, on Saturday Afternoon

Stewart Makes Game-Winning Layup to Defeat Marymount, 69-67, on Saturday Afternoon

Junior Khiorie Stewart made the game-winning layup after he stole the ball with nine-seconds left to give the University of Mary Washington men's basketball team a victory over Marymount University on Saturday afternoon in Arlington, VA. The Eagles improve to 11-4 overall, and 5-3 in the CAC. Junior Johnny Cronin led the team with 20 points

After Marymount made a free throw to start the game, freshman Drew Johnson knocked down his first three-pointer of the day just 48 seconds into the game. Over the next 2:30, the Saints scored four straight and they went up 7-3. With 15:28 left in the first half Marymount gained a 13-6 advantage. 

From there, UMW went on a 11-3 run to take the lead, 17-16, over a span of 4:11 that was capped on a steal and score from freshman Michael Janowski. Marymount then responded and scored the next six points to regain the lead 22-17 with 7:57 left to play in the half. Johnson nailed a three-pointer on an Eric Shaw assist that brought the Eagles within two, 25-23, with 5:07 to play.

Stewart scored the next four points and gave the Eagles the lead 27-25, with just 3:30 remaining in the half. In the last 3:30, there was five lead changes and Marymount grabbed the lead, 32-31, at the buzzer on a tip-in. Johnson scored nine points in the first half and Stewart added eight.

Cronin made a layup 11 seconds into the second half and the Eagles took the lead 33-32. The two teams traded buckets over the next 2:30 and the score was even at 39 a piece. Shaw made a layup with 15:18 left to give the Eagles a 43-39 lead. Cronin had a huge dunk that ignited the team with 14:18 remaining in the second half to push the lead to three, 45-42.

The Saints stayed with UMW and tied the game up at 51 with 10:38 left. Johnson and Mark Madison each connected on a three-pointer to give the Eagles a six point lead, 57-51, with 8:27 remaining. Marymount got within two points, 59-57, with just under four minutes left in the game. 

Cronin made a layup with 1:30 left to put UMW up 65-60. Marymount made some free throws and got within one, 65-64, with 1:11 remaining in the game. After Cronin knocked down two free throws, Marymount made a three-pointer with 45 seconds left to tie the game up at 67-67. 

After Madison missed a three-pointer, Marymount hauled in a rebound with 15 seconds left. Stewart then came in to steal the ball and score a layup to put UMW up 69-67 with nine-seconds remaining. Marymount shot a three-pointer as time expired but clanked off the back rim and UMW walked away with a 69-67 win.

Johnson scored 14 points and brought in a game-high nine rebounds. Shaw and Stewart both contributed 10 points for the Eagles. Brandon Rogers led Marymount with 20 points on the day.

The Eagles shot 45.5% (25-55) from the field, making 5-15 three-pointers, and 14-17 free throws. The Saints shot 53.5% (23-43) from the field, making 8-20 three-pointers, and 13-23 free throws. UMW dished out 15 assists and also totaled 15 steals.

UMW will travel to CNU on Wednesday night for a tip-off at 7:30 p.m. in a CAC showdown.